In particular amounts, mixing bleach and Pine-Sol produces hazardous chlorine gas. Inhaling chlorine causes rapid loss of consciousness, respiratory arrest, and death due to its severe toxicity. These cleaning supplies must be used independently.
Both chlorine bleach and Pine-Sol are potent cleaning agents that create potent fumes when used. Ventilation is essential for the safe use of these cleaners, particularly in enclosed areas such as bathrooms. They may only be blended with water and nothing else. However, using them independently in the same room is safe. Bleach, for instance, disinfects and whitens sinks, baths, and toilets, whilst Pine-Sol is the preferred alternative for removing grease and cleaning floors. When employed in this way, the fumes emitted by these compounds do not mix to form lethal chlorine gas.
Bleach is a powerful disinfectant and cleaner for the home, but its interactions with other chemicals can be hazardous. Bleach must never be mixed with ammonia or other high-pH chemicals, in addition to Pine-Sol. If these chemicals are combined inadvertently when cleaning, everyone in the room must immediately leave for fresh air outside. The damaged area requires urgent ventilation in order for the harmful vapours to disperse. Before cleaning, all windows should be left open for several hours.